Almost every Byzantine palace in Constantinople has vanished or crumbled to fragments; Tekfur Palace is the one that still stands whole. Raised in the decades around 1300 as an annex of the sprawling Blachernae Palace — the seat of the empire's last rulers — it climbs three storeys into the gap between the double land walls near Edirnekapı. Its outer face reads as a textbook of late Byzantine taste: red brick laced with white marble in bands, crosses, and diamonds. The building is also called the Palace of the Porphyrogenitus, "born in the purple," a title reserved for children born to a reigning emperor.
After 1453 the palace passed through a strange run of lives — a menagerie of exotic animals, a poorhouse, and, in the early 1700s, a kiln whose "Tekfur tiles" tried to revive the fading art of İznik; later still, a bottle workshop. For most of its history it stood roofless, a hollow brick shell open to the sky. A long restoration finally gave back its roof and floors. Today you climb three bare levels, lean into tall arched windows that frame the old ramparts, and meet tiles fired on this very ground.